Houston Texas based downtown premier global law firm is searching for a Communications Manager – Recognition and Awards. This person will lead firmwide initiatives in connection with legal directories, awards, surveys and lists published by media organizations, including Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and The American Lawyer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Reports to the Director of Communications and provides strategic leadership, management and execution of submissions for legal directories, awards, surveys and lists.
• Supervises direct report(s) and oversees other contributors to submissions and nominations.
• Works collaboratively with practice group leaders, partners, business development staff and others to create compelling submissions and nominations that align with firm strategy and improve the firm’s rankings and visibility.
• Compiles preparatory materials in advance of directory interviews and prepares lawyers for those interviews.
• Tracks and maintains editorial calendars to anticipate upcoming opportunities for awards, directories, surveys and lists submissions firmwide. Advises on opportunities for new or broader exposure in rankings, awards and directories on a firmwide level.
• Develops strong relationships with editors, reporters and researchers at legal directories and media organizations.
• Promotes directories and awards results internally and on the firm’s external website.
• Provides regular updates to legal directories regarding new matters and personnel changes.
• Tracks results annually and produces reports that analyze rankings performance year-over-year.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Job is performed in a typical office environment, but is subject to time pressures and constraints, and is often dependent on input from others.
• Occasional overtime may be required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, marketing or a related field.
Experience: Five years’ experience in a public relations-, marketing- or journalism-related field, preferably in a law firm or other professional services environment.
Special Knowledge: Familiarity with national and international law firm directories, awards and surveys is preferred.
Technical Skills: Proven ability to work in a Windows-based environment with word processing software, Microsoft Excel, Adobe products, computer databases and desktop publishing software.
Attributes: Strong writing skills. Knowledge of and ability to use proper drafting, editing and proofreading skills and techniques. Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to prioritize work and work within competing deadlines; ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the firm and externally, and ability to report facts and other information clearly and concisely.
Other Qualifications: Ability to maintain confidential information.